2.16.2008

Yarn that Inspires - Rowan Big Wool Tuft


Thought I'd share one of my current faves. I love this yarn! It is so unique, bulky and has big tufts of wool plied on with rayon thread (hence the name). I don't think I'd knit a sweater from it, but it is perfect for small projects like scarflettes or for trim on a larger project. It is soft merino and comes in lovely colors. The scarflettes I knit for my Etsy shop out of it sold very well this holiday season. For you knitters out there, here's how to make your own (not for selling!)...


With 1 ball of Rowan Big Wool Tuft and size 17 needles CO 10 stitches.


Odd Rows: K2, P2, K2, P2, K2

Even Rows: P2, K2, P2, K2, P2


Knit to desired length or until you're almost out of yarn, Bind off.


Sew a 1" button to the upper right hand corner of the right side, it will slide through the knitted fabric wherever you like it for different looks.


A fantastically fast, ridiculously easy single skein project. This would be great for a last minute gift - and I mean your friend is driving you to the party as you knit, that kind of last minute. It seriously takes about a half hour!


The only downside - this yarn is now discontinued! But I still see it on ebay and a few other places, so stock up while you still can!

7 comments:

Grace Garton said...

Seastorm Scarflette, love the name!
This looks great, I've qued it over on Ravelry, I wonder how hard it is going to find the wool down under in Tasmania? I'm going to find out as I really like it.
Thanks for the free pattern.

Grace Garton said...

Yippee! I was able to purchase the rowan big wool tuft on ravelry! It arrived in the post 2 days ago....I'm casting on!

Kate said...

I'm so glad you found some - it is such a quick knit and fun to work with.

knitwit said...

I found Rowan's big wool tuft on Smiley's yarn website at $2 a skein! They have amazing discounts on lots of discontinued high quality yarn brands. The only downside is that your total order has to be at least $50. At these prices though, it's a great place to stock up on all the yarn we need to make all those fabulous gifts for the holidays!

knitwit said...

I found rowan big wool tuft on smileys yarn website and got it for $2 a skein!!!! They carry a lot of the high quality yarns that are discontinued at amazing prices. The only downside is that you have to purchase a minimum of $50 for the total purchase. At these prices though, it's great to stock up now for all the holiday gifts we want to make!

froofroobydesign said...

Love love love this scarflette! I'm a newbie to knitting so tell me how you get the tufts to stand up? Do you pull them out?

froofroobydesign said...

I love love love this scarflette! I'm a newbie to knitting. Tell me how you get the tufts to stand up like that! Do you have to pull them out?